DIY perfume is a fun project that can become a full-blown hobby or a one-time experiment. When it goes right, you’ll end up with a custom fragrance that hits all of the lovely notes you love to sniff when perusing spices, candles or fresh flowers. There’s no limit on what scents you can mix together, so play wizard and come up with a unique concoction that’s as individual as your personality.
Tips for Creating a DIY Fragrance
Making your own perfume is fun, but it’s not as easy, breezy as one might think. Have the right tools and set-up before you start mixing to prevent a mess.
1. Set up a work station. This doesn’t have to be ultra fancy. Just a clear counter top where you can measure ingredients with ease and not spill on anything important.
2. Wear an old shirt. If you’ve ever dropped olive oil on a shirt, you know any type of oil stains with what looks like a permanent watermark. Leave your good shirts in the closet and conduct your DIY perfume while wearing a ratty T-shirt.
3. Have bottles for storing DIY perfumes. If you’re just starting out and aren’t sure what your fragrances will end up like, you can store them in any type of glass container with a top. For those who want to get fancy, hit a local craft store for empty atomizers and glass bottles to store perfumes. All bottles should have an airtight lid.
4. Be patient. In order for the scents to come together, you have to let the fragrance sit for at least 48 hours. Don’t dismiss a recipe upon first sniff, just because it doesn’t tickle your fancy right away. It may need to sit at least a week to thoroughly mix.
5. Shake it up. If two days isn’t long enough for the perfume to sit, be sure to shake it up every couple of days until you reach a week. This disperses the contents evenly, giving the scents a chance to marry.
Videos to Create Your Own Fragrance
If you think making your own fragrance is too much to handle without a crash course, check out these helpful videos to give you an image of what the process should be like.
6. Make Your Own Perfume Kit Put together a perfume kit, so you always have a mix of scents to play with create a unique fragrance that’s in tune with the season.
7. Recipe for Making Perfume Oils If you want to go hardcore and make your own perfume oils, this video shows you what you need and how to mix them. It also gives a thorough explanation of notes.
8. How to Know the Difference Between Perfume and Cologne Typically we associate one with the female sex and the other with males, but this video explains what it really means for a fragrance to be dubbed either a perfume or cologne.
9. How to Make Your Own Perfume Check out this video of a gentleman making a fragrance to get tips on how to measure the correct amount of each ingredient.
10. How to Make a Perfume with No Alcohol The strongest, most high quality perfumes contain no alcohol at all. Here’s how to create your own luxe fragrance at home.
11. Maybelline Roller Bottles as Perfume Bottles?! This innovative DIY-er has made a new use for her Maybelline roller bottles, perfect for toting your homemade perfumes around in style.
12. SoapQueenTV – Fragrance and Essential Oils A quick lesson in fragrances and essential oils to understand what’s going into your perfumes or any scented products you decide to try.
13. Miriam Discusses Perfume Notes This fragrance professional takes the time to explain top, bottom and middle notes and how they join to create a scent.
14. Perfume and Blending Basics Learn the 101 on blending scents to give yourself an idea of how a perfume will smell after it settles for a few days.
15. Directions for Making Perfume Watch this instructional video to see how to make your own perfume and adjust the ingredients after the fragrance has set. If it isn’t what you love, no worries because most recipes can be played with until it’s the perfect scent for you.
Articles and Blog Posts on DIY Fragrances
Learn to whip up a DIY fragrance with the help of these articles and blog posts. Remember to always allow perfume to settle before going in and adjusting the notes. Sometimes less is more.
16. Preparedness Pro – Essential Oils 101 Here’s the starter guide to understanding essential oils and the role they play in creating the perfect DIY fragrance.
17. I Love India – How to Make Perfume Here’s a simple starter recipe for those making perfume for their first time. It’s easy with accessible ingredients that can be found at a health food store.
18. Reader Tips – Making Your Own Perfume or Cologne Before you start mixing and matching ingredients, here’s a look at the basic things you need to know to get a scent that actually smells nice.
19. EcoBites – DIY Natural Perfume Here’s a look at what you need when making perfumes and home and a few tips on scents that commonly work well together. Remember you can always get creative after you’ve mastered the art of mixing.
20. Pioneer Thinking – Perfumes This page has links to many articles explaining notes, how to mix your perfume and basic recipes that result in universally-loved scents.
21. How to Make Your Own Fragrances Blog This blog hasn’t updated in years, but it has a wealth of knowledge for those looking to learn how to create their own perfumes and profit from them. There are unique DIY perfume recipes posted on the site too.
22. Aromatherapy at Home – Make Perfume with Essential Oils This site has a failsafe formula for creating a custom scent, all you have to do is fill in the blanks with the essential oils of your choice. It also points out what ingredients conjure up a certain scent.
23. Heal with Oil – Essential Oils: Understanding Notes When Making Perfume Unless you want to end up with a weird balance in your fragrances, it’s important to understand notes before you start mixing oils. This blog post shows you how to place notes in a category to figure out ingredients that will compliment each other.
24. Basenotes This blog revolves around fragrances of every type, but has extensive information on DIY and all-natural perfumes. Learn what’s hot and trendy in the world of mainstream fragrances too.
25. Beauty2morrow – Fragrance Notes for Popular Perfumes and Colognes If you aren’t sure where to start when mixing ingredients, check out this site for a list of popular fragrances and see what their notes are to give you direction in what you’ll want in your custom scent.
Learning to make your own fragrances means spending a lot less on a unique scent. High end perfumes easily top $100 per bottle and if you take a look at the primary ingredient, it’s more often than not, alcohol. Stop paying for filler ingredients and take matters into your own hands (literally), but mixing oils and creating a stellar custom scent that can become your signature.
Whether you have been an athlete for decades or are preparing your child for their first season, sports injuries are no doubt on your mind. Before, the only other sources of sports safety information were pricey doctors or the other soccer moms. However, with the rise of the internet and blogging, you can now get an expert opinion from someone who has experienced it, treats it, or just reports on sports safety.
To help keep you and your family protected, we have listed the top 50 blogs on sports safety below. They are full of tips on how to prevent injuries, treat them, get alternative views, or even just get last night’s score.
The Top Blogs on Sports Safety
These blogs make sports safety their main topic of concern.
1. CYA Protective Gear : This online sports gear seller also keeps an active sports safety medicine blog. Protection, injury, and prevention information are all shared. In addition to the latest news, you can also get tips for protecting specific body parts.
2. Xsports Protective Blog : This blog’s tagline is “shop smart, get protected, ride hard.” Its pages are full of suggestions and tips on just how to do that. Categories include extreme sports such as BMX, roller derby, and snowboarding.
3. Sports Injury Clinic : A group of bloggers take on the world of sports injury in this blog. Injuries discussed range from foot to head. There are also tips for rehabilitation, an injury forum, and even a way to find a clinic in your area.
4. Sports Injury Info : This blog is the spot to find new articles on sports injury info without having to search through the whole site. You can even use the blog to learn about sports safety topics such as anatomy, prevention, and much more. They also offer the opportunity to tell your sports safety story or send in your sports injury questions.
5. Doc for Jocks : This professional sports safety blogger is a physician at Arlington Foot and Ankle. He started the blog to share knowledge for athletes by an athlete. He also teaches skiing and soccer in between bike riding and running.
6. Dr. Josh Dines and Dr. Rock Positano : Dr. Dines is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and Dr. Rock is a foot specialist. The blog often focuses on sports safety topics such as shoulder pain and ACL tears. Professional athletes and their injuries are also a topic of focus.
7. The Disabled List : Learn how to keep yourself or a family member off of the disabled list with a visit to this blog. Popular content includes a treatment for bone bruises and how to treat a torn pectoral muscle. New content stopped a while ago, but the blog still offers relevant entries.
8. Running Injury Free : The blog gives tips and suggestions to the thousands of recreational runners, joggers, and walkers who aren’t overly concerned with how fast they can finish a race but who want to run without injury and enjoy it. Although new entries have slowed, the blogger has been running injury free for 38 years and shares how.
The Top Medicine Blogs on Sports Safety
These blogs take a look at the practice of sports medicine.
9. Sports Medicine : Elizabeth Quinn is an exercise physiologist and fitness consultant who has been writing about sports medicine, injuries and training techniques, and working with athletes for over a decade. Must reads on the blog include an A to Z of sports injuries and the top exercise mistakes. There are also loads of tips for sports parents.
10. Foundry Sports Medicine and Fitness : This sports medicine clinic is located in Rhode Island and offers tons of posts on orthopedics, physical therapy, and how to improve sports performance. Popular posts are on carpal tunnel syndrome and ergonomics 101. There is also an area for patients with other resources.
11. British Journal of Sports Medicine : This blog is part of a peer reviewed journal for health professionals and researchers in sport and exercise medicine. In addition to updates for the association, there is also information on sports safety. The BMJ Group also offers related items.
12. Ask the Sports Doc : Dr. William Roberts is a professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health at the University of Minnesota Medical School in St Paul. His blog answers runner’s and other athlete’s questions on health, injuries, and sports medicine. A reader recently sent in a question of whether it was possible to run a marathon on one kidney.
13. Dr. Gabe Mirkin : Get news and tips for your healthful lifestyle from sports medicine doctor, fitness guru, and long-time radio host Gabe Mirkin, M.D. His wife, nutritionist Diana Mirkin, also chimes in with tips for female athletes and more. Sugar is the topic of current discussion.
14. Mike Reinold : His blog is intended as a resource for physical therapists, athletic trainers, and other rehabilitation specialists. Mike is an expert of current and advanced practices in orthopedic and sports medicine. One of the current entries is entitled “the 5 most stupid things I didn’t do early in my career.”
15. SMARTT : This blog features entries on Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation, Therapy, and Technology. Visitors can browse the articles by topic of choice or newest. You can even submit your own article for publication.
The Top Specific Medicine Blogs on Sports Safety
Learn about a specific aspect of sports medicine with the help of the below blogs.
16. Golf Sports Medicine : Because your swing and sports safety go hand in hand, check out this blog. It is full of golf related problems, medicine, advice, and injury information. One of the current entries is how to keep back pain off the golf course.
17. Spine and Sports Medicine Blog : See how all sports involve the spine in some form or other. The blog has tags for every topic from acupuncture to tennis elbow. A recent entry was on women and musculoskeletal disorders.
18. Women’s Sports Medicine Blog : Peter Cavanagh holds the Endowed Chair in Women’s Sports Medicine and Lifetime Fitness at the University of Washington in Seattle. Check out his blog for the latest research that women in sports will want to know. The most recent include helmets for skiing and indoor cycling.
19. Ask the Running Doc : Dr. Lewis Maharam is one of many experts featured on the blogs at Runner’s World. Loads of professional sports tips are given for runners here. They include bunions, tips for the last mile, and why to stay away from caffeine.
20. Howard J. Luks : Dr. Luks specializes in sports injuries, arthritis, and fractures. You can also check out his blog for information on arthroscopy and joint replacement. Social media is also often a topic of discussion.
21. 98.6: Dr. Pribut’s Blog : He is a sports podiatrist who focuses primarily on running injuries. Dr. Pribut is also a Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery and faculty member of the George Washington University Medical School. Tags are on loads of topics from Achilles to tips for the winter time.
22. Physical Therapy Exercises : Did you know that the right exercises are an essential part to sports safety? You will after a read of Gary Gray’s blog. He teaches how our bodies need physical exercise to stay healthy and recover from injury.
23. Physical Therapy : Similar to the above, this blog focuses on how exercise and sports combine to form a healthy lifestyle. Must reads include what to expect from physical therapy and how to prevent back pain. There are also resources such as a glossary, exercises, and special section for sports injuries.
24. Movement Science : Click here to get both a blog and podcast on the topic. The author is a board-certified orthopedic physical therapist and strength and conditioning specialist. Blog topics can be on anything from the typical to rare topics such as eccentric training.
The Top Alternative Medicine Blogs on Sports Safety
See how a look at Eastern, Asian, and other areas offer a different spin on sports and traditional medicine.
25. Natural Sports Medicine Blog : Dr. Todd Narson is a chiropractic sports physician based in Miami, Florida. Visit his blog to learn about alternative and natural methods to treating sports medicine. A recent entry was on how over the counter pain killers can inhibit muscle growth.
26. World Acupuncture : Explore the art of acupuncture in the 21st century with the help of this blog. Alan also discusses his travel to Brisbane, Japan, and many others. The blog is currently doing a series on a Japanese Acupuncture Workshop.
27. Zen to Fitness : How can the art of Zen improve athletic ability and prevent sports injury? A visit to this blog can show you. Entries are on topics such as minimal training, superfoods, and more.
28. Yoga Wellness Blog : See how yoga can improve sports safety on this blog. A community explores various aspects of yoga from health living to expert poses. There is also a wellness diary, forum, and much more.
29. Brent Atwater : This alternative sports medicine blog focuses on energy healing and medical intuitive diagnostics. Brent is known as a “human MRI”and is also an author, speaker, and teacher. Learn more about her brand of alternative sports medicine by checking out her blog.
30. Brad Pilon : See how fasting can actually be a plus to alternative sports medicine here. Brad has been across the nation teaching many athletes how to “eat, stop, eat.” Learn more by checking out the blog.
31. Sports Nutrition : Hunter posts quick and easy tips to use nutrition in sports. Blog posts are on topics such as juice, milk, food dehydrators, and much more. He also often reviews popular sports nutrition items.
32. Manual Therapy and Physical Medicine : Learn more about manual therapy in this blog. Categories include chiropractic, manipulative therapy, physiotherapy, and many more. There are also sections on specific conditions and related sciences.
33. Alternative Medicine Blog : Cathy Wong features loads of alternative medicine tips for everyone. In a blog for About.com, visitors can choose from items on supplements, treatments, and even advice by condition. A recent entry was on acupuncture and its benefits and costs.
34. The Daily PT : With literally thousands of athletes to train at once, how does the military do it? Check out this blog to find out. There are even special sections for army, air force, marines, and navy.
The Top Blogs on Sports Safety by an Athlete
See how these athletes practice sports safety by checking out their blogs.
35. Sports Fitness Hut : Mark Dilworth is a former NCAA Division I athlete and is not afraid to share loads of sport safety in his blog. In addition to blog entries and videos, he also offers a baseball power manual. There are also top tens in speed training, core training, and more.
36. A Trail Runner’s Blog : Scott Dunlap took up trail running and triathloning back in 2001 to get off the work treadmill and see a bit more of the outdoors. His blog contains interviews, research, original fiction, and all things trail running. Most popular posts include the runner’s high and how to make a toenail necklace.
37. The Marathon Virgin : Runner’s World contributor Ted Spiker is writing about his attempt to run his first marathon—and the wacky workouts he’ll sometimes use to get there. He is training for a 26 mile marathon and writes all about it. A good choice for beginning runners or marathoners.
38. Triathlon Training Blog : If the above is too soft for you, stop here. Carol shares her journey from couch potato to triathlete in this blog. She shares tips, advice on injury prevention, and much more.
39. Commonwealth Sports Medicine : Treatment for athletes by athletes is the focus of this blog. It also stands out for its international aspects and availability in different languages. Choose from sports such as cycling, football, or swimming to begin.
40. Powering Through : William Wayland has won a British weightlifting association leader award and lectures in sports science at the Colchester Institute. His blog focuses on strength and conditioning, health, fitness, and life. Daily life, tips, and things that interest him are all shared.
41. Melinda’s Fitness Blog : Melinda proves you don’t have to be a man to know or learn sports safety. Get both nutrition and weight training resources just for women in this blog. Popular entries include Jamie Eason’s workout, healthy apple recipes, and a lower back exercise.
42. Sports Training Blog : Various contributors write about ideas for athletes and coaches preparing for competition. Categories include the Olympics, kayaking, coaching, golf, and many others. They also feature the latest studies and reports on sports science.
43. Dr. Yessis Sports Training Blog : Dr. Michael Yessis is president of a company specializing in biomechanical/kinesiological analyses and specialized training for explosive speed and quickness. He is also an expert on Russian running and sports training methods and shares more on his blog. He also features tons of exercises for any kind of athlete.
44. Turbulence Training : Looking to lose weight as part of your search for sports safety? Then check out this blog for fat loss workout routines. Blog topics include workout tips, various workouts, and dieting information.
The Top News Blogs on Sports Safety
If you’ve had enough of the amateurs visit these blogs to get the latest headlines in sports, along with injury reports, sports safety news, and more.
45. ESPN : With several channels to fill, ESPN is a monster of sports related content. Visitors can choose which sports league they would like to learn about, in addition to the latest news. There are also sections for fantasy leagues, radio shows, commentary, and so much more.
46. SI.com : You don’t need a subscription to “Sports Illustrated”to enjoy the content here. Specialty sections include “extra mustard”and “fannation.” They also feature the top stories, along with truth and rumors on the homepage.
47. Bing Sports : Miss a highlight or other sports video? Then visit here to get the latest and most popular sports videos with a click. Bing also features loads of other videos in other categories.
48. Fox Sports : This network also strives to keep up with the latest in sports news. Visitors can choose from loads of sections from babes to rumors and many more. They also feature an excellent choice of professional sports writers and their columns.
49. Fanhouse : This sports news blog has the fan in mind. Choose from your favorite sport, video, fantasy, and more. They also offer Fanhouse TV with exclusive items.
50. Sports Central : Sports Central is one of the longest-running independent sports fan publication online, established in 1998. They specialize in “intelligent sports fan commentary, editorials, and colorful interpretation.” Visit to get the best of or add your own items.
If you have a specific sports question or injury, be sure and consult a licensed physician before following any of the advice read in the above top 50 blogs on sports safety.